Security leaders in Baghdad and Erbil have failed to implement plans to set up joint coordination centers.
After a record-setting 2019, annual oil output fell by about 760,000 bpd as Iraq made extraordinary cuts to help support global prices.
Basra's fields bore the brunt of the OPEC-plus production curtailments, and they are ready to surge as output quotas lift.
Now that Shell personnel have returned, BGC is focused on resuming delayed projects to turn more flared gas into electricity and revenue for Iraq.
Iraq is expanding existing refineries, but greenfield projects in the south are not moving forward.
More in Energy
Oil exports ended 2020 on a relative high note, but the year saw federal Iraq post its lowest annual export volumes since 2014 and worst revenue total in more than a decade.
More in Politics
Trump administration had been more aggressive on Iraq's energy deals with Iran, issuing a 45-day waiver in November.
- UPDATE: Kamal al-Atroshi approved as Kurdistan’s oil minister
- Iraqi Cabinet approves 2021 budget with even bigger deficit
- Even with devalued currency, new Iraqi budget proposes record deficits
- Dinar value falls as Iraq contemplates currency devaluation
- Civil unrest highlights Kurdistan financial woes
More in Security
The coalition's decision to remove the Iraqi Air Force from air tasking orders highlights ongoing failures to address the dysfunction and corruption that have crippled a multi-billion-dollar fleet of fighter jets.